WASHINGTON (AP) the Nationals playoff hopes alive.Scherzer pitched six scoreless innings Phil Hughes Jersey , doubled and scored twice as the Nationals beat the Miami Marlins 8-2 on Friday night for his major league-leading 16th win.After throwing seven shutout innings against the Cubs on Sunday only to watch Chicago win on a walk-off grand slam, Scherzer (16-5) left with a 5-0 lead and watched the Nationals thwart a Marlins rally.Scherzer allowed at least one baserunner in four of six innings but worked out of trouble as Washington opened a six-game homestand with little margin for error as it seeks to get back into playoff contention.They grinded me, Scherzer said. There were some spots in the game that could have swung the game the other way, and (Matt) Wieters did a great job behind the plate finding the right pitch to throw at the right time.Scherzer struck out seven with one walk and is 4-0 with a 1.13 ERA over his last six starts.Ryan Zimmerman and Wieters homered, and Bryce Harper and Adam Eaton had three hits each for Washington, which has won two straight after losing seven of its previous nine.Scherzer, who also reached on a fielders choice, has hit safely in seven of his last eight starts and is batting .296.I think biggest thing with Max is in big pressure situations he has the ability to put the ball in play to where you dont have that kind of strikeout sitting in the nine hole, Wieters said.Austin Dean homered for his first career hit for the Marlins, who have lost six straight. Miami made two errors and Harper took advantage of center fielder Magneuris Sierras tentative play to turn a single into a double.We should have some pride in what were doing out there and I think weve showed that through the course of the season for the most part, but here in the recent days its just unacceptable in what were watching, Marlins manager Don Mattingly said.Miamis Dan Straily (4-6) allowed five runs on nine hits in six innings.Mattingly was ejected in the fourth inning for arguing balls and strikes after Derek Dietrich was called out on a 3-2 pitch that appeared to be outside.The Nationals went ahead 1-0 in the second on Zimmermans 10th home run. After Wieters solo shot made it 3-0 in the fourth, Scherzer doubled and scored on Eatons double.Thats why I put in the work http://www.twinsfanproshop.com/authentic-max-kepler-jersey , run in between days so I can run the bases and pitch, Scherzer said. For me, thats part of the game.Harper picked up his 500th career RBI with a single in the seventh, and Daniel Murphy extended his hitting streak to 10 games.The Marlins got two runs in the seventh off Trevor Gott, but three relievers held them scoreless for the final 2 1/3 innings.ON APPEALMiamis Jose Urena is appealing his six-game suspension for intentionally hitting the Braves Ronald Acuna Jr. with a pitch. Mattingly didnt rule out using Urena this weekend against the Nationals.RIDE SHAREThe Nationals introduced their new bullpen cart, which will transport relief pitchers to the front of their respective dugouts before they take the mound. The Nationals are the third team in 2018 to use a bullpen vehicle, joining the Diamondbacks and the Tigers. None of Fridays relievers rode in the cart.TRAINERS ROOMMarlins: RHP Kyle Barraclough (lower back stiffness) is scheduled to throw off a mound again on Saturday. INF Martin Prado (left quad strain) started baseball activity Friday with hitting and throwing.Nationals: Manager Dave Martinez said an MRI on RHP Jeremy Hellicksons right wrist revealed a bad sprain and hell go on the disabled list when the team determines the corresponding move. RHP Stephen Strasburg (cervical nerve impingement) will throw a bullpen session on Saturday.UP NEXTMarlins: LHP Wei-Yin Chen (4-9, 5.32) makes his third start of the season against the Nationals. Hes 0-1 with 6.17 ERA versus Washington in 2018.Nationals: LHP Tommy Milone (1-1, 5.24) opposes the Marlins for the second time this season. He allowed three runs on eight hits in five innings of a no-decision on July 26. HOUSTON (AP) Jose Altuve was sure hed hit a tying home run for the Houston Astros in Game 4 of the AL Championship Series. He thought it was a double, at least, when he watched the ball ricochet back onto the field.Then, he saw the signal: He was out, and couldnt believe it. Altuves potential homer was wiped away when umpire Joe West ruled that fans reaching for the ball interfered with Boston right fielder Mookie Betts attempting to make a leaping catch.Now Houstons chances to repeat as World Series champions are nearly out of reach after an 8-6 loss Wednesday night that put the Red Sox ahead 3-1 in the best-of-seven matchup.I normally dont get mad at the umpires call. That one http://www.twinsfanproshop.com/authentic-max-kepler-jersey , I was a little upset, Altuve said. All of a sudden, it wasnt even a double, it was an out. Two runs the game ended up that make me a little bit more upset.Denied Altuves two-run drive in the first inning, the Astros wound up falling two runs short.Thats just a tough call right now, said Houstons George Springer, who later homered over that same wall. I understand its not easy to make that call. You would like to see a two-run homer be a two-run homer, especially to tie the game.West, the crew chief working the right-field line at Minute Maid Park, signaled fan interference after Betts was unable to make a jumping grab. Fans made contact with Betts glove, though it wasnt clear if they had reached over the fence.The call stood after a replay review that lasted 3 minutes, 13 seconds. Altuve was ruled out and Springer was sent back to first base.West told a pool reporter the ball had not crossed the top of the wall when the spectator reached out of the stands and hit him over the playing field and closed his glove.Betts, one of the best defenders in the majors Anibal Sanchez Jersey , said he had it all the way.That was a ball I could catch. Im 100 percent positive I was going to be able to catch that one, he said.I jumped and went over, reached my hand up, I felt like somebody was kind of pushing my glove out of the way or something, Betts said.A fan wearing an orange Astros jersey, who identified himself as Troy Caldwell, insisted he wasnt reaching out over the yellow line atop the 7-foot-high fence when the ball hit his hand.That ball was gone no matter what, said Caldwell, a lifelong Astros fan from Houston who now lives in Atlanta.The play came on the same day MLB cleared the Astros of any wrongdoing after a credentialed Houston employee was caught pointing his cellphone into the opposing dugouts during playoff games in Cleveland and Boston.Astros manager AJ Hinch cracked a joke when asked if there were enough cameras at the ballpark to properly review plays like Altuves hit.Yeah, earlier we started the day with do we have too many cameras in the park, Hinch said, smiling. So, yeah http://www.twinsfanproshop.com/authentic-max-kepler-jersey , I wish we had an angle that was perfectly along the fence line that would show. Thats the one camera we dont have.Altuve had both hands on his helmet in disbelief while standing on second base, where he stopped when the play ended. Hinch went out to discuss the situation with West, who had a brief consultation with the rest of the six-man umpire crew before the play was reviewed.Jose pays the biggest price because the trajectory of the ball looked like it was going to leave the ballpark. But we assume and you can assume a lot with Mookie because hes an incredible athlete we assume hes going to make this spectacular catch jumping as high as he can into the crowd, Hinch said. Changed that whole inning.While Betts didnt say anything to the fans after the disputed play, Caldwell said he immediately started getting texts that he had cost Altuve and the Astros a home run.Altuve said he had nothing against Caldwell, and would do the same thing as a fan and try to catch a ball.As long as the Astros come back and win this well be all right, Caldwell said during the game.They didnt, and now are facing elimination.